RE: https with userid and password

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott, I have an idea and you can confirm if it is right. They told me to pass 'https:. . .?xml=. . .' I will remove the ?xml= because I believe this is the parameter that is passed by the html_url_post in p_data.

Typically when you specify ?xml=blahblah&somethingelse=blahblah, it's done in a GET request. GET was available before POST was, and they needed a way to send data from a form on a web page to a program on the computer, so they came up with a method of encoding variables and their values into the URL itself... then the program that receives the request can parse the values and do processing based on them. Great idea.

With a POST request this usually isn't necessary, because the prgoram gets it's input from a separate document that's uploaded (that's the document you specify with "p_data") but it's still possible to use it.

So, I really can't tell you whether the server needs the ?xml= as part of the URL, that depends on the server configuration. In my opinion, they _shouldn't_ use it. But there's no technical reason why they couldn't.

However, when you add data to the URL like this, you do have to be very careful to encode it properly so that the HTTP protocol understands that it's part of the URL, and not an additional field listed on the GET request. If you've forgotten to encode it properly, that could certainly cause the error that you've listed.

You could try it without the ?xml= stuff, and see if that works. But, if that stuff is required, please make sure that it's encoded correctly. You can use HTTPAPI's http_url_encoder() routines to help you encode it.