Re: XALLOC in program LIBHTTP/HTTPAPIR4

Hi Kim,

> Trust me, I really appreciate the help I receive on your forum, and
> would never encroach upon your personal time or space, nor would I
> tell you to "fix" something.

I'm sorry.. I don't understand why you said this.

The announcement I made the other day about "respecting boundaries" was
intended for those people who think it's okay to e-mail me off-list to
tell me that I'm not responding quickly enough, or those that will call
me at work (or worse, at home) to ask for help with their projects.

Please don't be afraid to ask questions on the list!

> In my experience, it's usually my own error that's messing up
> the process, and not HTTPAPI.

Perhaps.  But there are also bugs in HTTPAPI -- that's why I keep
pointing people to the beta version.  Many of the bugs are fixed.
Without a doubt, there are more bugs that will be found.

> BOTH services are telling me that I'm making multiple (2) requests.

HTTPAPI does not make additional requests on it's own.  It'll only make
a request if you ask it to.

Possibly your code is looping?  Or you've coded two requests by mistake?

> rc = http_url_post_xml(
>       'https://ws.notreally.com/services/eoservice.asmx'
>             : %addr(SOAP)+2
>             : %len(SOAP)
>             : %paddr(StartOfElement)
>             : %paddr(EndOfElement)
>             : *NULL );

This will make one request.

If you call it again (or another HTTP_POST or HTTP_GET routine) it'll
make another.

> DNS resolver retrans: 2
> DNS resolver retry  : 2
> DNS resolver options: x'00000136'
> DNS default domain: thecompanyiworkfor.com
> DNS server found: 192.168.30.9
> DNS server found: 207.170.210.162
> DNS server found: 168.215.210.50
> SetError() #2: Host name look up failed.

Interesting.  This appears to be *failing* to make any sort of request.
  So now we've gone from "making two requests" to making none.

I don't understand your scenario, Kim.  Sorry.

> I don't speak DNS, and am not sure what the "DNS resolver retry:2" is
> telling me. But seeing a "retry:2" leads me to believe it might be part
> of the problem....?

DNS is used to translate a name (in your example, 'ws.notreally.com')
into a network address.  For example, if I use DNS to look up
'www.scottklement.com', it will return '69.128.116.164'.

Think of the network address (69.128.116.164 in my example) as being
like a telephone number.  In order to call me on the phone, you'd need
to know what my number is.  You'd have to look it up somehow (phone
book, perhaps).  A DNS lookup is just looking up the address, it's not
making a connection to them.

and the 'resolver retry' means that if your computer (these settings
apply to your whole system, not just HTTPAPI) fails to get a response,
it tries again X number of times. (In this example, 2 times.)  It only
does that if the first one times out.

HTTPAPI will first do a DNS lookup.  If it's successful, it'll then make
a connection to the address it found, and carry out your HTTP request.
If the DNS lookup fails, it won't connect. (It can't, it doesn't know
the address.)  If it succeeds, it'll make one request.

The only way it'll do it twice is if you call the routine twice (and
both connect successfully)