RE: http_url_post speed concerns

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Darren McBride wrote:

> Nope, 2-4Gb. Don't forget that PC's can use paging to move memory in and
> out of the page file, and as a result are no longer stuck within the
> limits of conventional memory.

I'm well aware of how PCs work.   In all of the PCs I've ever set up
(which is quite a few) the largest paging file I've ever created was
768mb.  You're talking about 4gb!

WDSC is known for poor performance because, at times, it can allocate as
much as 200mb.  That causes most systems to page to disk like crazy, and
has kept many developers from using the new IBM tools.

Yet, you're talking about 4gb, over 20 times that much.   IN A SINGLE
VARIABLE.

If you seriously allocated 4gb to a single variable, it would probably
deny the request.    The PC uses a 32-bit integer as it's pointer type.
That means the most amount of memory that it can address within a single
task is 4gb.  And part of that has to be used by the operating system!

At least the iSeries uses a 128-bit pointer.   It can address a WHOLE lot
more memory than the PC is capable of.  The iSeries also pages memory to
disk, and does a much better job of it than windows does.   Though, for
working with strings, I'd rather use Unix than anything.

> Obviously we never use that amount of memory for strings, but the point
> is that the option to address that amount of storage is there. In RPG we
> are always conscious of the limit (64K for strings depending on the
> version, or 32767 array entries etc). I don't know about C on the
> AS/400, but I'm sure with C on other platforms the limit is dependant
> largely on how much you malloc before using the pointer.

If you're willing to use the malloc() approach in C, then why aren't you
willing to use the ALLOC op-code or BIF in RPG?    That would change your
limit from 64k to 16mb.

Frankly, if you're allocating more than 16mb to a single string, something
is seriously wrong with your application design, doesn't matter if it's
running on a PC or on the iSeries.