Re: Preserve file date/time

Sender: Walt Bennett <wbennettjr@xxxxxxxxx>

Loyd,

I do not know for certain, but my gut tells me "no."

When we retrieve a file into the AS/400 (via ftp, I presume?), the file will be created if it does
not exist. If the file does exist, the data will be replaced. As far as I know, none of the
external information is passed; only the data. In other words, the object is not being
transported, the contents are. ftp is a protocol for moving data. You can certainly get around
this if both systems are AS/400s, because you can transfer a save file. The restored contents of
the save file will contain all external attributes as they existed on the remote server.

If, however, the remote server is not an AS/400, I know of no way to preserve the date/time
created nor any other external attribute.

You might want to post this to the comp.misc.as400 newsgroup and see what other responses you get.

- Walt