Re: HTTPAPI vs. XMLToolKit

The toolkit can be used directly from RPG and as far as processing XML
is concerned is very powerful.  I was not aware that it had any
ability to interact with web services however, just to create/update/
process XML data. There is another product from the same group in IBM
that does that, but frankly I don't think it is anywhere near as good
as HTTPAPI.

Having said that it is powerful - I should also point out that it
suffers from truly horrible documentation and even worse example code.
That is unless it has all been updated since I last looked it some 18
months or so ago. The problem with the samples is they appear to be a
direct translation into RPG of the C/C++ examples.  Lots of based
variables and %allocs going on all over the place for no good reason.
The net result for me was that after spending a few hours with the
code I felt like slitting my wrists - I had almost completely
forgotten why I was looking at it in the first place and no longer
cared anyway. Hours of my life had passed never to be recouped!

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com