Weird Timeout

Been using FTPAPI for a couple of years now without any problems. Came
to work today to find the program that uses it to receive FTP files
hanging in TIMW status for 7 hours. The last three entries in the call
stack were
Program                  Statement         Procedure
FTPAPIR4   FTPAPI        5477              FTP_GET
FTPAPIR4   FTPAPI        5627              FTP_GETRAW
FTPAPIR4   FTPAPI        6882              GET_BLOCK

The statement in question in the FTPAPIR4 service program inside the
GET_BLOCK procedure seemingly was
eval      wwSize = %size(wwAddrBuf)

Out of the 8 files that were supposed to have been received, the first
one was received successfully, the program got stuck on the second file.
The file was created on the System i, but appeared to be empty. The
total size of the file to be received was 11 KB. I've ended the job and
re-ran it and the whole thing was received without any problems at that
point.

So this got me wondering, what may have caused this (internet/network
hiccup?) and how to prevent this from hanging in the future. The program
didn't seem to be looping, it was just stuck on that statement. Unless
it was doing something so quickly that I could not trace it while
refreshing the call stack a few times.

Sergey