Re: Questions about the HTTP Server and Keystore authority requirements for HTTPAPI

Hi Charles,

--IBM HTTP server for iSeries (57xx-DG1)

Only required for installing/configuring SSL certificates. HTTPAPI uses
the SSL support that's built-in to the OS, and IBM designed the OS's SSL
support to use the HTTP *ADMIN instance for configuration.

--Granting ordinary users permission to run SSL applications

The SSL key databases (certificate stores) contain the private keys as
well as SSL certificates. Normally, a certificate file is publicly
available, but a key is not.  It's perfectly acceptable (and normal) to
send your certificate(s) to other sites, they can use them to check that
you are who you claim to be, and when they send encrypted data to you,
only you can read it (because you have the key, and nobody else does.)

The risk in granting access to them is that the user who has been
granted such access could potentially download the key file, and install
it somewhere else to "impersonate" you.

Adopted authority *never* works on IFS objects.

But, you don't *have* to give all users (*PUBLIC) access to the SSL key
files, you only have to grant that access to whomever will be running
HTTPAPI in SSL mode. Only these users need access to the key database.

If that's unacceptable, you could potentially design your application as
a background job (communicating with the users via data queue) and run
that background job with a user profile created specifically for this
purpose.  If you follow what I'm suggesting, you'll understand that only
that user profile would need to be granted access to the key files.

Alternately, you could use "profile-swapping" (such as the profile
handle or profile token APIs) to swap to a user profile that has access
to the key databases.

But, ultimately, in order to do SSL, the system must have authority to
these files, because they contain the certificates, CA certificates, and
keys that are needed for the SSL cryptography.