trying to output JSONL (anybody heard of it?)

Discussions relating to the ScottKlement.com port of the open source YAJL JSON Reader/Generator. This includes the YAJL tool as well as the YAJLR4, YAJLGEN, YAJLINTO and YAJLDTAGEN add-ons from ScottKlement.com. http://www.scottklement.com/yajl/
fsuinnc

trying to output JSONL (anybody heard of it?)

Post by fsuinnc »

downloaded Scott's YAJL because I was told a project might be easier if I could output to JSON instead of .csv but in reality I need JSONL which is JSON Lines. a JSON structured data processed a line at a time. If i'm reading things correctly each line is like a complete JSON object (or file whichever is correct). I'm wondering if anyone has used or has advice to get the output this way. So far my attempts create a file that just contains the last record or all records as a single line.
sample of .jsonl -
sample.zip
(421 Bytes) Downloaded 701 times
thanks.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: trying to output JSONL (anybody heard of it?)

Post by Scott Klement »

JSONL is basically just a collection of multiple json documents that are stored together in a text file, one per line.

It should be possible to create this in YAJL simply by constructing a separate document for each line, and reading it into a variable. Then write the doc to a text file yourself, with one JSON document per line.

For reading, you'd read it line-by-line, and for each line parse it as a separate document.
fsuinnc

Post by fsuinnc »

belated thanks. will give it a try.
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

Looking at the sample data it looks as if an easy approach would be to use DATA-GEN with the YAJL generator to place the json in a varchar variable, then add the CR/LF (or whatever you need) and write it out to the IFS. Could easily buffer it in a large varchar field.