Open source

Any IBM i topic that does not fit in another forum
chrispickles

Open source

Post by chrispickles »

Hi, we are looking into using open source software to improve / modernize our iSeries systems. I have attended UK I-UG events that have suggested using the IBM repo's. I want to know what kind of open source is out there (and where to look without having to install new s/w until I know that's what I want!). So, for example, code that allows use to validate postcodes and/or addresses etc and anything other that IBM system utilities. Any help would be good. Thanks
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: Open source

Post by Scott Klement »

The term "open source" means software that is developed as open to the public. Anyone can contribute. It is protected by an open source license, so that you know that it will always be available, and you can use it and/or derive things from it without losing the rights to use it.

The fact that it is "open source" does not have anything to do with how the software works, what function it performs, how you install it, etc. These are all dependent on each particular software package.

There are various package managers available for IBM i that many open source packages utilize, such as YUM, NPM, PIP, etc. They represent thousands and thousands of packages, but they certainly aren't the only way open source software is installed or maintained.

I'm afraid your question is too broad to give a good answer. But, if you have a more specific question, please ask and we'll do our best to help.
chrispickles

Post by chrispickles »

Scott, appreciate your response. In order to evaluate how O/S could benefit us, I need to understand what s/w if out there so would like to see a list of packages/functions (from a secure repo). As I mentioned previously, functionality such as address/zipcode validation / lookup etc
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Good luck with that.
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

I would suggest that you simply search for open-source projects offering the kind of capabilities you want. Then find out what language they use and if it is supported on IBM i. Since most of the major languages are now supported it shouldn't be an issue.

I found HotScripts.com to be useful when I was first looking for PHP open-source tooling and they cover other languages too. Otherwise, just look for what you want and then ask on a relevant forum if anyone has experience.

In addition to this board you can get OSS advice on midrange.com's open source list. Or on the IBM OSS section on Ryver.
juan11de14

Post by juan11de14 »