Help retrieving file data definitions OS v5r4,cif possible

Any IBM i topic that does not fit in another forum
angelal

Help retrieving file data definitions OS v5r4,cif possible

Post by angelal »

I am tasked with creating externally described files from an old MAPICS package written in S36RPG machine running on
OS v5r4. I have searched everywhere for File field definitions. The only references to the file fields are
defined in programs but there are many gaps between fields. I want to create DDS for Item Master file, the
record length 422, the record format has only 3 fields defined. They told me to try IDDU, no Data Dictionary objects
exist on the System, I have also searched for CPYSRC but can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
jonboy49

Re: Help retrieving file data definitions OS v5r4,cif possible

Post by jonboy49 »

Ah the bad old days!

If you are very, very lucky you might find someone who has already done this mapping. Try looking for an internet group that supports MAPICS. You may have to post to multiple locations such as Midrange-L at midrange.com as well as places like Linked In and Facebook - both of which have multiple IBM i groups.

If that doesn't work then I'm afraid the only way to find the field layouts is by studying the input and output layouts in the program sources. At one time there were a number of commercial tools that would help in this regard (i.e. S/36 RPG II conversion) but they have all disappeared from the market as far as I know. Again somebody somewhere may have a copy or a home-grown tool that would help - you just have to ask.

I will warn you that when you do determine the layouts you will almost certainly find that some files have conflicting layouts where a field is used as numeric in one program and character in another. Similarly, it is common that things like dates or part numbers will appear both as single fields and as their component parts (e.g. day, month and year). You will also find many cases where a single file has multiple record formats. For example an invoice file may have header, detail, and total records. They are fun to convert!
jonboy49

Post by jonboy49 »

Well, it looks like Infor themselves had conversion software at one time - and therefore still knew the layouts. Whether they still have the tools and/or would supply the layouts you'll have to anthem.

Here's the link I found https://support.infor.com/esknowbase/ro ... 708%7D.pdf
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

This is part of the joy of working with the S/36... the only layouts of the files is in the program code.