XML Parsing no longer supported by IBM in 7.5?

Discussions relating to writing software in ILE RPG (RPG IV). This includes both fixed and free format RPG.
bbunney

XML Parsing no longer supported by IBM in 7.5?

Post by bbunney »

My boss just told me that XML parsing is no longer supported by IBM in 7.5. Is that true? Does that mean that IBM is going to treat XML-INTO and DATA_INTO like SEU and not evolve them? I know IBM won't drop these operation codes from RPG. Is it fair to say that the expectation from IBM is that software developers will start using SQL to parse XML documents instead?
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: XML Parsing no longer supported by IBM in 7.5?

Post by Scott Klement »

Bear in mind that 7.5 is not new -- it was released over 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what your boss is referring to, but it doesn't make any sense to say that "XML isn't supported anymore." There may have been a PARTICULAR XML package that support ended for -- I don't remember, honestly -- but there's no way IBM can drop support for XML in the general sense.

XML-INTO (and DATA-INTO, which isn't even related to XML) are still fully supported as they always were.
bbunney

Re: XML Parsing no longer supported by IBM in 7.5?

Post by bbunney »

Thanks Scott. We are just going to 7.5 and installed it on our test LPAR and were running some tests which I was not a part of. We are very conservative letting a release be out for a while before we upgrade. It takes over a year to perform a complete upgrade as we have over 60 LPAR's.