SOMAXCONN

Any IBM i topic that does not fit in another forum
tomstr

SOMAXCONN

Post by tomstr »

We are not using any SK tools on this app in question, but I see this forum as a great source of information since many of the methods of comms lead back to sockets on the IBM i.

My system level setting of SOMAXCONN is 512 in QSYSINC/SYS/SOCKET

Does anyone know what happens to the daemon listener when the queue is greater than 512? Does the 513 just get dropped and what happens to the listening job?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: SOMAXCONN

Post by Scott Klement »

I moved this to the 'General' forum since it has nothing to do with HTTPAPI
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

SOMAXCONN is the maximum size of the back log. The back log is the number of requests that will be queued up and wait for processing by a TCP server application.

For example, if you code this:

Code: Select all

rc = listen(mySock: 5);
It will queue up to 5 connections. The number 5 in the second parameter is referred to as the "back log". So my listen() call allows for a back log of 5 connections. However, the back log number passed to listen() can never be higher than the SOMAXCONN value. So SOMAXCONN is the "maximum" number of backlogged connections.

It's important to understand that each backlogged connection uses up memory in your system. So if you allowed a million backlogged connections, and each one uses a minimum of 1 KB of memory, that's a gigabyte of memory that could potentially be used. (1 KB is the minimum each backlogged connection would use. There may be more, for example, if a receive buffer is used on the socket.) Someone hitting you with a denial-of-service attack can therefore force your computer to use a lot of extra memory, slowing you down (or potentially even crashing the server.) Therefore, a maximum needed to be set system-wide so sysadmins can protect themselves from DOS attacks like htis.

I'm not 100% sure what happens when there are more connections than you allowed. In my example, if you had more than 5, backlogged connections, what would the 6th attempt get? I think they might get a code like "Connection Refused" or possibly "Connection Reset". I experimented with this many years ago, back then I could've told you what would happen...but as of right now, I can't remember. But, it'll be something like that.

And if you have a firewall that blocks ICMP messages (which, at least at one time, were very popular) the caller would just notice the connection attempt "hanging" until they hit their timeout value. Which may sound like bad behavior, but... if it's an attacker trying to flood you with connection attempts, that actually would be a desired response since it'd slow the attacker down to a crawl.
tomstr

Post by tomstr »

Thank you!