JSON numbers in Scientific Notation

Discussions relating to the ScottKlement.com port of the open source YAJL JSON Reader/Generator. This includes the YAJL tool as well as the YAJLR4, YAJLGEN, YAJLINTO and YAJLDTAGEN add-ons from ScottKlement.com. http://www.scottklement.com/yajl/
tim.hurring

JSON numbers in Scientific Notation

Post by tim.hurring »

I've noticed that larger numbers are being generated in scientific notation by yajl_addNum
e.g. the number 25,122,332.47 is being generated as 2.512233247E7

This is causing a problem in the downstream system. Is there a way to avoid scientific notation, or increase the cutoff threshold?
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: JSON numbers in Scientific Notation

Post by Scott Klement »

That's a floating point number.

I haven't seen yajl_addnum() do that. Are you certain you are using yajl_addnum (rather than yajl_addnumf)? And are you certain that it isn't already in that format before you add it? Can you show us the code you're using?
tim.hurring

Post by tim.hurring »

Thanks Scott for your prompt reply. This was all my problem. It turns out that the JSON data generated by YAJL was actually fine, it was the tool I was using to display the JSON data that was presenting the numeric value in scientific notation!
Thanks again!
Jeron

Post by Jeron »

Hi Team,

I have been facing an issue with JSON involving scientific notation to store small numbers with decimal point values in JSON form ( like - "eKG":2.0E-4 ). How to read these specific values using YAJL Lib functions available from a JSON object already been created by another user ?

YAJL_get_bignumber() or YAJL_get_number() both seems to fail. Please let me know thoughts on this. Much appreciated!

Regards,
Jeron
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Jeron wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:13 am I have been facing an issue with JSON involving scientific notation to store small numbers with decimal point values in JSON form ( like - "eKG":2.0E-4 ). How to read these specific values using YAJL Lib functions available from a JSON object already been created by another user ?
Sigh... it's floating point notation, not "scientific" notation...
YAJL_get_bignumber() or YAJL_get_number() both seems to fail. Please let me know thoughts on this. Much appreciated!
Yeah, these routines use the RPG %DEC built-in function to interpret the number, which is the problem -- it doesn't understand floating point notation. This didn't occur to me when I wrote it, and this is the first time someone has mentioned this problem. (The previous discussion was also related to floating point numbers, but not related to yajl_get_number/bignumber.)

Let me think, I'll get back to you.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Jeron,

Can you try downloading the updated copy of YAJL from my website and see if it solves the problem for you?
https://www.scottklement.com/yajl/

In this update, YAJL_GET_NUMBER and YAJL_GET_BIGNUMBER should no longer fail when the value is in floating point notation.
Jeron

Post by Jeron »

Thanks Scott for the help. program runs like butter :) .
Stay Blessed.