Trouble exporting text data to pc file in pure ascii (CCSID issue?)

Any IBM i topic that does not fit in another forum
LUCAG

Trouble exporting text data to pc file in pure ascii (CCSID issue?)

Post by LUCAG »

Hello everyone, this is my problem.
I have a program that writes a physical file. The physical file has 4 char fields. The file must be downloaded in pure ascii txt format and then uploaded via ftp to our IRS systems.
In one of the 4 fields it can sometimes happen that there are accented capital vowels À or È or É or Ì or Ò or Ù (names of cities or people).
The physical file has CCSID 280 and from the terminal by doing DSPF you can clearly see the accented vowels.
Jobs that create the contents of the file run under CCSID 1144.
When I download it via IBM iAccess or simply with the CPYTOIMPF command, the uppercase accented vowels are transformed into their equivalent hexadecimal code.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to overcome the problem?
Thanks in advance
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Re: Trouble exporting text data to pc file in pure ascii (CCSID issue?)

Post by Scott Klement »

Which ASCII is the "pure" one? The term ASCII refers to many, many different character encodings. It's a whole category, not a specific one.

And why would you still be using ASCII in 2024? I know of just about nothing that still uses ASCII... it's all been replaced by Unicode.

Are you certain that it shouldn't be UTF-8?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "equivalent hex codes" because I've never heard of any of these tools putting hex values (which would be a form of escaping) into a document. Instead, if they don't understand a character code, they'll put the substitution character in there. (Which would probably be even worse.) So I don't think you're describing this correctly. Possibly a tool you're using to VIEW the file is what is making it look like hex codes?