Registration error using Chrome

Any IBM i topic that does not fit in another forum
alasdairmacdonald

Registration error using Chrome

Post by alasdairmacdonald »

When I tried to register on this forum using Chrome (Win10), I got an error message "the solution you provided was incorrect". This appears to be a captcha error message, but I was not presented with any captcha.

I tried Firefox (also Win10) and was able to register successfully without any problems whatsoever (and no captcha).

I then went back to Chrome, and successfully logged in using the new account.

In Chrome, I then logged out and tried again to create a new account, using a different e-mail address. This time it worked without any problem. The only thing that I did differently was to change the language on the Terms & Conditions page that preceded the page on which I entered my information, whereas before I'd been changing it from American to British on that second page.

Hi everyone.
gMagQcy

Re: Registration error using Chrome

Post by gMagQcy »

ditto.
I had same experience, trying to register from Chrome.
I then followed your suggestion, and registered from firefox, and got signed up fine.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Strange.

I just tried it from Chrome, both using American and British English (I created two new users). It worked without problems for me. I wonder if it's sporadic?

If anyone else has a similar problem, please let me know!

With regards to the CAPTCHA, there is one -- but, it doesn't make you answer any questions. It's a cool feature of reCAPTCHA by Google where it can verify that you are a real person without questions. You'll see the reCAPTCHA logo appear in the lower-right corner of your browser window, and you can mouse-over it or click it for more information about the site.

The logo looks like this:
recaptcha.png
recaptcha.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 18857 times
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

It seems that some other people have had this problem as well, I found this discussion: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2538586

Apparently it means that the reCAPTCHA v3 validation failed. This can be caused by things like adblockers and popup blockers, etc. That might explain why using a different browser worked, because you may not have your usual plugins in Firefox (or perhaps you just have a different set of plugins.)
alasdairmacdonald

Post by alasdairmacdonald »

I believe that I did try switching the ad-blocker (Privacy Badger) off, but with no effect. I didn't notice any recaptcha logo.

But I'm sure the most important thing is that there are a few hints / suggestions here for anyone else that has similar experiences in the future.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

I changed the message to look like this:
recaptcha_message.png
recaptcha_message.png (8.98 KiB) Viewed 18839 times
It links here:
https://www.scottklement.com/help/recaptcha_errors.html

Hopefully that will help anyone who has problems.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I was able to register using chrome, with no problems
peder udesen

Post by peder udesen »

I tried to change the settings in Chrome to allow popup screens for http://www.scottklement.com
This solved the problem.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Alan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 am I was able to register using chrome, with no problems
I don't think the problem is related to which browser you use, but rather, relates to which plugins you're running. Since you probably have a "main browser" where you do all your work, it stands to reason that this is where you have your plugins installed. When you switch to an "altnerate browser", you probably don't have the same plugins, so it works.