Earlier Version of YAJL

Discussions relating to the ScottKlement.com port of the open source YAJL JSON Reader/Generator. This includes the YAJL tool as well as the YAJLR4, YAJLGEN, YAJLINTO and YAJLDTAGEN add-ons from ScottKlement.com. http://www.scottklement.com/yajl/
RichWG

Earlier Version of YAJL

Post by RichWG »

I am working on a project to upload Customer, Product, Order Detail files to a company doing compliance for us. They need me to upload using JSON Rest API which is new to me. They are using an IBMi using R5.4.5 with no plans to upgrade. the YAJL JSON tool says it needs V6.1 but I wondered if there was a previous version I could download the would run on V5.4?

Thanks
jonboy49

Re: Earlier Version of YAJL

Post by jonboy49 »

I'm confused. Do you mean that your customer is the one running the 5.4 release?

It is possible that the iseriespython port goes back that far, in which case you could use that. Otherwise you've probably got to "unfix" HTTPAPI so that it will compile - unless Scott still has an old version available.

Even if you can get HTTPAPI compiled you may still have issues with encryption as the certs available for 5.4 are pretty out of date.

The best answer is probably to ask them if you can format a JSON document containing the data and FTP it onto their system rather than trying to use their web service.
Scott Klement
Site Admin

Post by Scott Klement »

Jon, he's asking about YAJL (not HTTPAPI). Though, granted, to call a REST API he'd need more than just YAJL, he'd need something that does HTTP. I assume, therefore, that he has a solution for that already since he did not ask for HTTPAPI. (Or, perhaps, he's just confused?)

Rich, I don't remember if YAJL ever supported any releases earlier than 6.1? The oldest copy of YAJL that I have can be found here:
https://www.scottklement.com/yajl/mar2017/YAJL.zip I don't know if it works on 5.4, you will have to try it.

The C code in YAJL will work on older releases, but you may have to remove the RPG components and call the C code directly.

Frankly, this is only the start of your problems. The world of technology changes too rapidly to be using an operating system that is 16 years old. It simply isn't practical. Not only will you have a hard time finding software that is supported on such an ancient beast, but the huge security risks of running something that is so far out of date make it very risky.

If your company (or is this a client?) doesn't want to invest in a new machine, they should consider moving to the cloud. You can get an up-to-date IBM i partition on cloud hosts like Connectria, iInTheCloud, or IBM that you can pay for on a monthly basis.

That said -- if you want to try the old version of YAJL, or to call the C code directly, or to rewrite the RPG bits for older releases, you are welcome to. To me it seems like a colossal waste of time and money, and in the end you'll end up with something that has big security risks and is unsupported. It's very difficult to see why someone would do that in today's age.
RichWG

Post by RichWG »

Scott I have the HTTPAPI for 5.4 and will run a test to see if I can put data to the HTTP.
Will look into the Cloud options.
Thanks, Rich