Re: Posting to a page with JavaScript

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've got our digital certificate loaded on my PC so when I connect it takes
me past the login stuff.  The URL never changes in the address bar.  I'm
guessing that the JavaScript is doing its magic instead of just throwing up
basic html.

When you bypass the signon screen using your PC, do you get the same HTML source? or is it completely different?

If it's different, I'd say that there's a program running on the server that's reading your certificate and determining that it should send you back a different page.

And, if that's the case, the problem is that you're not sending the certificate properly from the iSeries.

I've explained it to the guy I've been working with over and over but he
still tells me to try clicking on this or that.  I just want to make sure
that I learn something out of this experience to make it

Yes, but my point is, he may not understand what's happening under the covers. He may never have been trained in how the page works, how the server works, etc. All he knows is how to use a browser, and has been trained to help people with that.

What do you mean by "consume"?  Do you mean a non-JavaScript site that I
can access that accomplishes the same thing?

I mean a web service. A web service is a web site designed for a program to use, instead of a person. Instead of geting input from a web form, you send an XML document. Instead of sending output in HTML, JavaScript, JPEG, etc... it returns an XML document.

The word "consume" simply means "use". If I write a program that consumes a web service, what I've done is written a program that utilizes that web service.

Since Web services are designed for programs to run instead of being designed to be displayed in a browser, they're much easier for you to write a program that calls them. They're much easier to change without breaking compatibility, etc.

I don't know if your bank offers a web service, but I'd find out. If they don't, then you can go back to trying to automate their web site.