Re: Handling a 302 Error

Hi Shannon,

302 isn't an error, it's a redirect.  The site wants you to go to
another site.

I realize that other utilities handle redirects for you -- HTTPAPI on
the other hand is really intended to be a program-controlled tool -- it
wants your program to decide whether it should or should not follow
redirects.

So while a browser (or another tool like curl or wget) might
automatically follow a redirect, HTTPAPI requires you to code it.

The simple solution is to write code that checks for the 302.  If you
get a 302, then the server has asked you to redirect to another page.
HTTPAPI provides a routine called http_redir_loc() that you can call to
find out where it wants you to redirect to.  You can then issue a new
GET request (such as HTTP_url_get()) to go to that new location.

It's not hard.

If you're really looking for something that's less tightly integrated
with your code, you might consider trying out the command-line
interfaces to HTTPAPI that are included in the current beta version.
http://www.scottklement.com/httpapi/beta/

The command-line interfaces (there's one for QShell and one that's a
native CL command) will automatically handle redirects.

Good luck