Re: Exit points

Hi Dennis,

Quite honestly, I don't see "securing" a client program to be a means of
providing security.  That goes double for one that's open source, where
the user can go in and change the way it calls the exit point!

1) What's to stop the user from downloading/installing another FTP
client program?  (None of the ones in PASE understand exit points!)

2) On your Windows or Linux box (where FTP software is easy to come by)
would you rely on an exit point if such a thing existed?   When the user
can easily download and install another program?  Wouldn't you think the
whole idea of an exit point is kinda silly?

3) Unlike the IBM client, FTPAPI is designed for use only from a
computer program.  i.e., a user will never use it directly, and it's
operation will always be automated by a programmer's RPG program.  Given
that, isn't the security supposed to be provided by the program that
calls FTPAPI?  Rather than FTPAPI itself?

4) If you add exit point support to FTPAPI, what's to stop a programmer
from writing their own FTP client and bypassing the exit points that way?

I guess, to me, there's a pretty big difference between a tool designed
for the user to use, and a tool designed only as an API to be called
from programs.

Having said all of that...  if you really want to integrate it with the
IBM exit point system, feel free to write the code and contribute it
back to the project.