From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Lovelady
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:56 AM
To: Ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Exit points

Hi, folks, this is my first post here.

As a preface, I have searched the archives for "exit program" and for QIBM_QTMF_CLIENT_REQ and for PowerLock with not much result.

There was a question from someone in 2004 asking why settings in PowerLock have no apparent effect on FTPAPI.  Apparently the poster
didn't know how PowerLock works (or how it doesn't, in this case).  Answer: PowerLock control is installed at the
QIBM_QTMF_CLIENT_REQ exit point.

Until I started working with FTPAPI very recently, I had assumed that IBM somehow tied that exit point to the FTP ports. (Naive, now
I think about
it.)  Apparently instead, the FTP client program itself makes the necessary hooks.

I mentioned on another list that our auditors wouldn't allow this program on one of the main systems I work with since it seems to
lack the kind of control that they want (for example, some users can GET, some can PUT or GET, and some can only do DIR operations).
(This is all managed by PowerLock controls at this point.)

So my question is, Have any on this list made an attempt to fit the IBM exit points with FTPAPI? (I have no clue how that would be
done, nor if it even
*can* be done in a supported manner.)  I'd love to use this decidedly better solution but am stymied except on my development
machines.

I appreciate your responses.

Dennis E. Lovelady
AIM/Skype: delovelady      MSN: fastcounter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady>
www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady --
"Since I moved to suburbia I found out the purpose of those railroad timetables.  Without them there would be no way of knowing how
late your train is."
       - Gregory Nunn